Sunday 18 March 2012

10 Amazing theories about the Amazing Universe


My fascination for the Universe runs deeper than the depths of the universe itself and the more I learn about it, the more it mesmerizes me. I would love to sketch the beauty of the universe with my own words but I fear that will result in a futile attempt so I'll let the facts/theories speak for themselves :-

1. Approximately 400 billion stars exist in our galaxy alone.

2. The thing that amazes scientists is not what resides in the light but what hides in the dark. 4% of our universe comprises of matter, 24% or dark matter and 72% or dark energy.

3. Currently 4 galaxies are merging with each other far away and can result in a single massive galaxy 10 times bigger than ours.

4. Shapley is a cluster of galaxies which is 400 light years long and it would take trillion of years for our fastest satellite to pass through it.

5. Milky way extends to 100,000 light years and the CD galaxy is 60 times bigger than ours.

6. If the rate of expansion of the universe right after the Big Bang had changed by 1 part in a quintillion (1,000,000,000,000,000,000 = 1 quintillion) then nothing would have ever existed. To illustrate just how small this number (one part in a quintillion ) is, imagine all the grains of sand in the world's beaches (the number would probably be 1 quintillion) .So in this analogy if all that sand represented the rate of expansion then how many grains of sand would be needed to wreck the universe?......Just 1 grain ----- What Precision !!!

7. Diameter of the universe is 93 billion light years and extending.

8. There are 100 billion galaxies in the observable universe.

9. The largest known super massive black hole is 10 billion times the mass of sun (300,000 earths = sun)

And lastly something to be dazzled at yourself .........

10. The iron in our body (less than 1% probably) comes from supernova (explosion of stars). Which essentially means that a small portion of our body is made of stars !!!



These 10 points are the merest piece of information about our awesome creator and the universe is the source of my faith and hope in ALLAH which I will discuss in my next post.




Endnotes
1. Source of data is The Universe documentary by History Channel (1 & 2 season).
2. Albeit it cannot be argued that all most every information about the universe should be treated as theories and not facts since these are not precise calculations. But these figures do give an idea about the mystical nature of the universe. 

23 comments:

  1. I loved your 10th point the most!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow great Info its realy helpful for my css exams in everyday science sub :) thanks for sharing such a useful info keep sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you guys liked it. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. NICE And INFORMATIVE POST .THANKS FOR SHARING.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice 1 faryy keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting facts..thanks for sharing..surely "which of the favours of our God shall we deny??.."

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmm informative, very good farhan keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. number 6 blew my mind. Very nice post!

      Delete
  8. I didn't know that a bit of me was bit of a star once up on a time. Awesomeness. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, a part of me was a part of a star once, WOWWWWWWW YAYYYY ALAAAAA =D

    U JUST MADE MY DAY =D

    ReplyDelete
  10. am glad all you guys liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very informative! Contmeplation of the awesomeness of His creation is always a great source of faith, and those are awesome facts. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the follow,otherwise I would have never discovered your blog. Cool stuff, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Also, I tagged you in a post, here it is: http://diaryofaninjaa.blogspot.ca/2012/03/eleven-tagged-questions.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wanted to be an astronomer when I was a teenager. I was really interested. My room had those glow in the dark stars and planets. But somehow, I changed my mind one day. Why? I still don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Actually there is only one star in our solar system the sun and every atom in out body came from one or more super nova

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    4. derty kash your comments are deleted because of indecent language. If you wish to say or criticize me then please do so within the limits decency. I assure you that then your comments wont be deleted

      Delete
  16. i regret to inform you that you are wrong the milky way is not in our solar system. our system is in the milky way

    ReplyDelete